Thursday, March 30, 2006

"God told me to marry a prostitute..."

So I read this story the other day about a man named Hosea, it's in Hosea chapters 1 - 3. He was an old testament prophet who was told to marry this woman named Gomer. (I can't imagine growing up with that name was a lot of fun). She was a prostitute. Or as God refered to her, "an adulterous woman." Hosea marries Gomer and they have a son... Gomer also has two more children, but they're not necessarily Hosea's. She is a very unfaithful woman and has many other lovers and affairs. She even uses the wealth and food that Hosea has given her to seduce her other lovers. Eventually, she leaves Hosea altogether for this adulterous way of life. I can only imagine the pain Hosea is feeling at this point. Then God says this, "Go get her back." Excuse me? She's sleeping with all these other men, even after all I've done for her, and you want me to go get her back? Hosea obeys, though, and even has to purchase her back for 15 pieces of silver.

The reason God tells him to do these things is that Hosea was to be used as a living example for the people of Israel. See, they had completely turned away from God and were living in sin. God was showing them that, spiritually, they were being the equivalent of whores.
This story hits home for me, if only because it is put into a way that I can understand. The pain Hosea felt when his wife gave birth to a child that wasn't his must have been unbearable. I put myself in that situation and imagine how I would feel being betrayed like that by the person I had chosen to spend the rest of my life with and love with evey part of my being... it would kill me. I would simply snap.

And now for the whole point: This is how God feels when I sin. Christ has called me, as a christian, his bride... So when I sin, I am betraying the very God who sacrificed himself for me... he bought me back even when I was living as an adulterer, a whore. When I knowingly sin against God, it hurts him because he loves me so much....

Yet He takes me back....

2 comments:

  1. THIS IS A POWERFUL INTERPRESISON OF THE WORD OF GOD I TOTALY AGREE WITH YOU AMEN I BELIVE THIS IS TRUE, GOD IS SO GOOD I HAVE SEEN FOUR DIFREENT INTERPRESSIONS TO HTIS WORD N THEY ALL AWSOME

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:26 PM

    If we as a nation would stop cheating on God we will see things change for the better. Think about it, would you do more for a cheating spouse or a faithful spouse?

    ReplyDelete